DR. DRAKEFORD, FOUNDER: Dr. Michael Drakeford is a native of Sumter SC (born at Tuomey Hospital) and is married with two sons. Dr Drakeford built the Palmetto Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Center to offer Sumter residents an affordable and high-quality alternative, and is Sumter's only Orthopaedic Surgery private practice, not owned and run by a hospital.
- High School: Wilson Hall
- College: Clemson University
- Medical School: Medical University of South Carolina
- Residency: Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Augusta, GA
- Fellowship: Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Knee and Hip Artifical Joint Replacement
- US Army Medical Corps 1984-1991
- Served in Operation Desert Storm in support of the 18th Airborne Corps with the 15th Evac Hospital (learn more)
- Member and Usher, Church of the Holy Comforter
- American Legion, Post 15, Life Member
- YMCA Board of Directors (1996-2000)
- Wilson Hall team Orthopaedic Surgery Consultant since 1992 to present
- Started Saturday AM Free High School Football injury clinic
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (learn more)
- Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (learn more)
- Past President, South Carolina Orthopaedic Association
He has authored, co-authored, presented and published many studies and scientific articles in his field.
Dr. Drakeford's Curriculum Vitae is available here.
WALTER R CHAPPELL, PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT: Ron Chappell PA-C was born in Butler, AL. After graduating high school, Ron attended Livingston University where he earned a bachelor's of science degree in biology. Ron joined the U.S. Army in 1977 and entered into the physician's assistant program in 1981 and also completed an orthopedic physicians assistant residency program. Upon his retirement as a Major in the U.S. Army after 22 years of service, he joined Palmetto Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Center in July of 1998. He is certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants and also a member of the Physician's Assistants in Orthopedic Surgery, the American Academy of Physician Assistants and South Carolina Academy of Physician Assistants. When Ron's not busy caring for patients or assisting Dr. Drakeford with surgeries, he enjoys cooking /grilling, motorcycles and home projects.